Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Skimming the surface


We couldn't have asked for better weather the day we took the kayaks off the tractor trailer and laid them into the estuary as the tide was beckoning towards the shore. The family was about to be unleashed into the Abel Tasman.


I had never experienced sea Kayaking before. Yes I had done the odd kayaking on a river or lake, but this was a new experience. The kayak itself was about 4 metres long and could hold two people and all our gear and becasue we were going to do some tramping as well, that was quite a bit. It included a tent. The gear was all stored in neat compartments infront and behind us.


Rebekah and my kayak was number 33. I was in the pilot seat. That means I was in charge of directing the kayak by using two pedals that were situated inside the seating area near where my feet go. The pedals would make the rudder at the back move left or right depending on which pedal you depressed. You would also use your oar to direct where you were heading. The added help from the pedal work was appreciated. It did at times become windy and rocky as we skimmed the surface of the Abel Tasman.

3 comments:

  1. Why is Josh wearing glasses? won't they fall off

    ReplyDelete
  2. towercraft1 (Olivia)April 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    Well you see Kyleesha when your kayaking you sometimes see sun reflecting in the water and it can be sore but I have not had that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. towercraft1 (Olivia)April 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM

    Year umm I tr-yd using my pedals but it would not steer so I had to just use my paddle when I went.

    ReplyDelete